I never bothered to read the history of the canyon when I was a kid, but that canyon has had a fascinating life. The canyons are reported to be over 260 million years old formed by sediment runoff from the neighboring Ouachita and Ozark Mountains. The canyons made a nice winter shelter for the Plains Indians and also served as hunting grounds. One of the marked hiking trails, the California Road Trail, was part of an actual westward expansion trail which passed through Oklahoma as 49ers journeyed to California in search of gold. The canyon made for a distinct landmark and the spring fed creek made a popular water stop. You can still see wagon ruts on the trail today which I never bothered to notice as a kid.
It's easy to forget that we have local treasures so nearby. I see more state park trips in our future.










2 comments:
hey guys,
Long time no talk. Your boys look beautiful and are growing up fast. Laura and I haven't seen you guys in what seems to be forever. We will be back in the OKC area this xmas and would love to catch up if you guys are up for it. Send me an email at driver2099 at gmail dot com.
~brian
Yay, glad you guys got to go! Looks like my idea of good fun. I hope we make a trip out there before it gets to cold!
Post a Comment