Thursday, January 21, 2010

Week One



Today Emmett is officially one week old and I tackled my first day alone with the boys. It was much easier than I expected. Newborns sleep a lot so in addition to caring for my children I managed to organize my kitchen cabinets, clean both bathrooms, and squeeze in a 45 min nap. It was a pretty ideal day. I'm sure it will get more exciting when Emmett starts staying awake for longer stretches, but for now I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts.

Miles is still doing great with Emmett. He's very gentle, doesn't seem to get jealous, and is pretty understanding of my divided time. Emmett peed on the couch today and the entertainment value for Miles was immeasurable. Miles is developing quite the sense of humor. He loves to purposely say the wrong thing like changing up the lines to his favorite books and he thinks these intentional goofs are hilarious. For him peeing on the couch was a silly example of something gone wrong.

I can't quite understand why everything seems so much easier this time, but I'm sure it has something to do with experience and then sense of calm that comes from having done it all before. Pee on the couch is just another day. These days it seems like somebody always has some type of mess. This morning Miles proudly proclaimed, "I pooped just like Emmett." Way to go bud, you are an accomplished diaper pooper for sure. Last night Miles managed to christen the king bed for which I only have one set of sheets. Then there's Emmett; he's a spitter upper. That is new territory for me because Miles never spit up. And of course there are the inevitable pee showers you get with a baby boy. So far Emmett has also pooped on me twice.

2 comments:

Christina said...

Sounds like you and the boys are going to be just fine! I can't wait until I am in the same boat as you...I am sure I will be asking you for advice. I want to come see you, but it is looking next week. Matthew is on day 3 of a cold with a fever and cough. We have missed Mothers Day Out and gymnastics this week and we are both in need of some outside company!

Mario and Amy Andreani said...

That's hilarious! He's going to be a great big brother! Enjoy your time off from work with your kiddos!!!:)