Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Kidisms

Kids really do say the darnedest things and Miles comes up with some good ones. I thought I better document before I forget.

Miles went through a couple of weeks when he was nose picking all the time. One day I told him to stop picking because he was making his nose red. He said, "I'm going to pick until my nose turns orange like Elmo's." We owe grandma for that gem. They really do repeat everything.

Miles has a toy that plays Farmer in the Dell. When it got to the line about the farmer taking a wife Miles blurts out, "Ew, wipes are gross and poopy."

I was lying with the boys at bedtime nursing Emmett to sleep and Miles snuggled up to Emmett's back and said, "I wanna be in Emmett's cozy spot." Cue heart melt!

Miles is ever so polite and uses "no thanks" like it's going out of style. Hey, buddy let's clean up this play-doh. "No thanks." Time to brush your teeth. "No thanks."

I'm guilty of the what did I just say to you line. You know, "quit throwing toys so close to Emmett". Toy immediately thrown again which prompts a what did I just say to you from me. Miles is repeating that one now. Is your diaper wet? No. Let me check. What did I just say to you? Ugh.

Miles is good at making you think you agreed to something you did not. He uses "you don't mind" and "it's okay". He's also good at bargaining without actually changing his request. He just adds a "how about..." or an "I know..." at the beginning when he asks the second time. If he's feeling extra persuasive he adds in an exhausted "I guess..." to make it sound like you've really worn him down, yet his initial request remains unchanged. For example, (with a big sigh and a defeated expression) "I guess it's okay to have jelly beans. You don't mind." Good try there buddy.

Not really a kidism, but I adore the way Miles says bwudder (brother).

Miles is obsessed with numbers. Obsessed. His favorite toy right now is one of grandpa's old calculators. He gets irritated when the screen is full so sometimes I just open up a word document on my computer and let him type numbers till his little heart's content. I know, computers and calculators, I might as well just get him a pocket protector now. Yesterday he noted that the date on grandma's computer said "twoty seven". This morning as I was leaving for work he asked, "what number (time) will you be home."

Sunday Miles had skipped nap and was in an especially good mood by day's end. He was refusing to take a bath and Casey was trying to cajole him. Casey said,"If I have to put this baby down and make you get in I'm going to be mad." To which Miles replied, "If I have to take a bath I'm going to be mad."

Miles has a bit of a defiant streak. This weekend he was sitting at the table finishing his breakfast screaming at the top of his lungs. Emmett was dozing so Casey told Miles to quit yelling which of course just meant more yelling. It wasn't an upset yell just a because I can yell. Casey was getting irritated and threatened a time out. Miles told me that he didn't have to take a time out and that he needed to yell because there was a frog in his throat. He usually has some sort of far fetched justification for everything which makes it awful hard to be mad.

Miles likes me to lay with him for a while when I put him to bed. I do for a few minutes and then I tell him I have to go "do my chores." Last night Miles called my bluff and said, "after you eat ice cream." For the record I really do take care of chores, but yes, after my ice cream.


1 comment:

TheFabJG said...

Milesisms are my new favorite thing!