In mid March we broke ground on our raised bed and dug out all the sod. Actually, Casey dug out all the sod. Miles helped/got in the way, Emmett supervised, and I picked weeds. We found a few grub worms and Miles had the best time digging them up and burying them again. Miles would be perfectly happy with our new dirt patch even if we didn't plant a thing. He crawled around in the dirt getting thoroughly dirty, the way a boy should.
Two weekends ago we built the frame. We popped next door to borrow a tool from dad and he ended up helping us build the whole thing. It always seems that things really start to happen when dad gets involved. Casey cut his hand twice which I'm sure he will want mentioned. I think he feels a sense of accomplishment and manliness. May the blood from his wound nourish our new plants. Amen.
My tomato seedlings are not doing well. I did some online research and the consensus seems to be that you should not start tomatoes from seed unless you have a greenhouse or at least a grow light. I have neither. We ended up buying some starter plants at the farmer's market, so I'm calling it quits on the tomato seedlings. We now have our tomato plants in the ground along with a few herbs and some seeds that are supposed to be way easier than tomatoes. We've planted tomatoes, mint, rosemary, basil, zucchini, cucumbers, squash, and green beans, If we get even one veggie out of the lot I'll be happy. Even if we don't the experience has still been fun.
4 weeks and 8 shopping trips later we have a garden!





1 comment:
Great family memories! :) Enjoy your garden!
Post a Comment